Monday, January 4, 2010

Vexing through texting

This morning I taught English to the Pohang teachers. Today's lesson consisted of, "here are funny superstitions westerners have." The teachers loved it. One told me she thought that westerners were less superstitious than Asians, but I changed her mind. Look at me, bridging the cultural gap with, "step on a crack..."

After the class I was dropped off back home where I changed and headed out, in the snow and sleet mind you, to my regular school. Bundled up and ready to roll I decided to walk to a) get some exercise, as shivering and hypothermia burns a ton of calories, and b) save my last 2,000 won in folding money for some kimbap. The best kimbap place is by my school. I dream about their kimbap. They don't take cards at the good kimbap place. I didn't want to go to the atm. I had to walk. 10 minutes later, uphill, through the snow, I had my kimbap and walked to school. I said hello to the principal who told me to leave. Great. My food will be cold if I walk home and eat it there. Also, I don't entirely trust my understanding of whatever comes out of the principal's mouth. His English is poor and his manners are worse. He looks like he should be shilling some crazy spin mop on Korean tv. I went to the VPs office to eat my kimbap and see if he told me to go home. He just looked confused that I was even there and spoke to me in Korean. I sort of love the VP. He never gives up on his dream that one day I will speak fluent Korean and understand everything he says to me. He is like a hopeful little boy playing dress up in a 60 year old man costume.
Anyway, after I ate I went to my office/classroom to look something up and text my co to see if I had to be at school. I did not. Back into the cold I went, this time bolstered by the knowledge that I could snuggle down into bed for the rest of the day... even though I still needed to go to the store to get those stupid missing banana bread ingredients.
I will skip the borningess of puttering around the apartment, and bring us to present time. A text message from my co teacher. "Today did you go to the school? During this camp you dont need to come to school. I said it to you. Did you forget it? after the class you can go back home. The supervisor allowed it." Vexing! Yes, that is why I sent you a text, from school, asking if I could leave. I responded letting her know that in an earlier text tonight she told me I had to give my attendance record to the admin, so I had to go in on Tuesday anyway. "I will do it. I'm taking a training course near my school. It's easier I walk there." That sound you hear is her back breaking as she bends over backwards for me. I express my undying gratidude. "You'r welcome. I just want to help you. After class, you just enjoy your time." I love the fact that I don't have to go back to my school for the rest of the week, but this woman can give a Jewish mother (though not mine because mine is wonderful and perfect) lessons in guilt. Finally, after telling her that I was going to try making banana bread tomorrow, and if it worked I would let her try some, I got this, "You really enjoy cooking. That is very good for you. Someday, but I hope not too long from now, your husband will be very happy with your skills." Yes, my future husband will be most pleased with my rice cooker baking skills. Sorry, that wasn't finally. Here is a new one, I responded saying thank you and got this, "Probably you resembled your mom. Try to keep your mind." Um, I don't recall ever saying anything that could be interpreted as my mother losing her mind. My mother is very much sane. Is she saying I am losing my mind? That is a distinct possibility, but it isn't very nice to call attention to my deteriorating mental status. Maybe she meant, "Try to keep her in your mind, you must miss her." Yes, that is the kindest, lets go with that.

Oh co-teacher, whatever would I do without you?

No comments:

Post a Comment