Friday, August 21, 2009

The Journey

This will be my second full day in Korea. If already feels like I have been here a week. The journey began with a 3:30am wake up at (totally awesome) Jeni's place. A 4:45 drive to the airport, and then an ocean of confusion. It occurred to me that I had no idea what I was doing when I got to the airport, but when has that ever stopped me? The first flight, from PDX to SFO was uneventful, except for the insane overweight baggage charge. That was a small price to pay to get here though.

I was happy to have a long lay over in SFO. I did not have a chance to visit home before taking off, so it was nice to breath some Bay Area air. I spent the majority of my time on the phone and trying to pick out other teachers at the gate. Lucky for me I found a few. I felt much calmer once I knew there would be other teachers on the plane and they were just as nervous as me.

Finally we boarded Singapore Airline headed to Korea. It was the longest flight I had ever been on, but I was pleased to see we had our choice of free movies and television shows, as well as various plugs and adaptors, so we could plug in our own stuff. I have never been on such a technologically advanced airplane. I watched Watchmen FINALLY (note to Polly, they blurred it out.) and ate kimchee (as did the whole plane. 12 hours of kimchee smell, something I must get used to.) Then tried to sleep. The problem is that I really only dozed. for an hour or two. Apparently my sleeping pill was no match for my excitement.

We landed around 5:45 Korean time, but there were so many teachers getting it the same day, my group didn't get to get on a bus to make the 3.5 hour trip to Jenjeu University (where our orientation is being held) until after 10pm. We didn't reach the University until after about 2am. Then we had to check in, get room assignments, and wind down a little. I ended up going to bed around 3:30, and got up at 7am that same morning. None of this a complaint, simply a statement of fact. I was running on so much adrenalin and eagerness to get started, I really was having fun.

Wednesday was our first full day here. We had some meetings, took a tour of the campus, and started really meeting each other. My worry that I wouldn't meet anyone nice was quickly banished as I realized everyone here equals awesome. I have been meeting people from all over the English speaking world which is amazing, and we have been having some fun with accents. My favorite conversation from yesterday went like this:
"Do you like Bic?"
"Like the pen?"
"Are you guys talking about biros?"
"What? No, the singer, Bic!"
"That's the name of a pen."
"No, like Odelay!"
"BECK!! Yes, I love Beck."
"That's what I said! Bic!"
This was between a New Zealander, some English people and me. It was all very amusing.

Last night we also had a welcome ceremony and dinner. The ceremony was great, we heard some speeches, saw traditional drumming, traditional fan dancing, and a protracted version of the Korean form of opera. At the dinner I made it a point to try everything I didn't recognize, consisting mostly of funny colored fried things and weird gelatinous rectangles. I also ate jelly fish, yum(ish).

The rest of our meals have been a mix of Korean and their idea of western food. The best thing I saw was french fries for breakfast yesterday a long with zucchini soup. There is of course kimchee at every meal.

I have explored around the campus a bit, going with some new found friends to a local bar, and a convenience store where there are tables set up in the back to drink your purchases and play cards. I can't wait to see what else is out there.

Today so far has been learning to set up a Korean Bank account, learning a bit about culture shock, and getting the medical exam. The exam was a trip. Everything was incredibly organized as they moved us quickly down the line, checking our height, weight, vision, hearing, blood, urine, and chest (as in x-ray.) It reminded me of the old Donald Duck cartoon, when he was getting an army physical. I was in and out in about 45 minutes. Take note American health care system! Another fun health care fact: They make us take our temperature every day and write it down, to make sure we don't have swine flu.

Later today I will be heading off to survival Korean class and a Korean movie. I really want to learn more Korean so that I can figure out what it is I am eating from the convenience stores. At least most of their food has pictures.... or at least a little cartoon creature who seems to be enjoying whatever it is inside the package.

Once I get the internet set up on my personal computer I will be updating more often. Until then, over and out!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! First post! Its good to hear that you are having a good time in Korea. Personally, I don't think I could sit on a plane with kimchee smell that long (I have a weird thing about smells). Also, on the topic of cartoon pictures in or on Asian food, I recently got some Botan rice candy at Kamakura. The stiker inside was of a giraffe showing a piture of pudding. It was clearly flan. The rant was heard in the South Bay. Well... Ooh! Congradulations on making friends there to! I'm sure you'll make many more, cause your a likeable person ;)!

    - Your Brother Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit Jealous! Sounds like you're having lots of fun!

    -Dirk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This woman I work with eats kimchee all the time and it smells like a dirty fish tank!! I hope yours was better!

    No-L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, sometimes when I wake up in the moring and open my window, the kimchee smell is a little strong, but I think I will get used to it.

    ReplyDelete