Monday, August 31, 2009

At home in Pohang

I arrived in Pohang on Friday to an empty apartment and a very nice, if slightly over bearing co-teacher. I couldn't move into my apartment right away because it was sans bed, which I think I took harder than I should have because I was just so tired and out of sorts. After seeing my new place and dropping my stuff off at the co-teacher's apartment I accompanied her to a teacher's retirement ceremony. I felt like bizarro Jenn there. Very quiet, introverted, and fighting back the urge to cry. All I wanted to do was hide in bed and be silent. I felt like I was being watched the whole dinner, and no one spoke to me because they were nervous about their English. After the dinner my co-teacher took me back to her place, where she was kind enough to let me use her bedroom... of course she also sent me to bed around 9:45 at night. Sure, I wanted to go to bed, but, as my parents can attest to, I do not enjoy being told what to do, especially when it comes to bed times. I dutifully went to bed though, and instantly started texting everyone I knew. I guess my messages were rather dire sounding, because I got 3 or 4 calls in the morning, to check in on me. Thanks new friends!

The next morning my co-teacher made me a traditional western breakfast of yellow curry (very good, but I question her sources) and we went out to clean my apartment. Fun Fact: Cleaning a Korean apartment with helpers is better than cleaning an American apartment. I don't know why, but it is. After the housework it was time to buy stuff with which to fill the house. I was a little worried because I couldn't get a straight answer on when my bed would arrive, and I was desperate for some alone time. Luckily for everyone involved, when we returned to my place with the supplies my bed had been delivered along with an enormous computer desk. I also have a bigger washing machine than my mother, a huge fridge and microwave, and a movable stove. I don't think anyone measured my kitchen before ordering the appliances, but I don't mind. I will fill the fridge with diet Pepsi (cheaper than Coke here) and delicious fizzy apple juice.

Seeing that my bed had arrived, my co-teacher and her husband went home. I was a little relieved because I could relax and not be on my best behavior all the time. I started to unpack, but then got distracted by watching videos on my computer. I was feeling much better about my decision to come here, especially when the monks in the temple next door to me started chanting and beating their little drum thing. I love the fact that I can look out one of my windows (that's right, I have windows plural. I had to move all the way to Korea to get them, but now they are MINE) and see a temple and the greenest side of a mountain ever. It kind of kicks the train station's ass. I think I am the only tenant in the building, so it is really quiet at night, and my friend Marty is within walking distance, so I think I really lucked out with the housing situation.

After the shaky start I am finding my footing. I am feeling more comfortable around my co-teacher, she is bossy, but seems to have my best interests at heart and is constantly feeding me. I appear to be making a good impression on the other teachers and admin staff at the school, and I managed to find the super market. Now all I have to do is get through my first day of teaching tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. How did your first day of teaching go?!? I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First day= awesome. I didn't have to do much. Next week will be the real test.

    ReplyDelete