Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Forget All Your Wishful Thinking and Do Something Practical with Your Life

My friend Caitlin reminded me of a fortune cookie I got when we were in college together. It was our tradition to meet for lunch every day, eat as much starch as possible, and end the meal with the ever present fortune cookies. One afternoon, mine read, "Forget all your wishful thinking and do something practical with your life." I was horrified. How could a fortune cookie be so cruel? Caitlin, always the true friend, jumped into action, tore the already small paper into tiny bits, and threw it away. I have tried to spend the rest of my life defying that fortune.

Just over a year ago I packed up all my possessions, left some of them in the kind care of friends and parents, and took the rest with me to Korea. I am not entirely sure it was a practical thing to do, to leave all my friends and family and move to a new continent. My reasoning seemed right, I needed a job, they have a job, this is a good decision. But really, if I had tried, I could have found a job at home. That would have been the practical thing to do. Instead, I wished to be elsewhere. I had dreams of adventure and new places.

I am starting my second year in Korea now, and plan to be even less practical. I will continue to learn a language I will have little use for in the States. I will find a way to visit more countries without saving very much money (because I just want to spend my money on travel anyway) and maybe I will sky dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment