Sunday, October 17, 2010

Food Fun

Every so often I come across something in Korea I just can't stomach. Pondeggee is one such item (stewed silk worms), and pickled eggs seem to be another. I didn't know I didn't like pickled eggs until a couple of days ago. It is entirely possible that I am just angry at them for surprising me the way they did.

Envision the scene: Tired, hungry, just returned from the grocery store. The thoughts of omlettes filled my head. The pan is heated, the bread is toasting, the cheese is sliced and ready to go. Out of the fridge come two eggs. They feel a little strange in my hands, though I can't put my finger on why. Instantly I worry they've gone off. Then I go to crack one. The shell feels strange under the pressure, softer almost. Also strange is the lack of white, or yolk, trying to get out. I peel the top of the shell off and realize that the egg has been hard boiled and smells of vinegar. Stupid preserved egg! I have 10 more of them sitting in my fridge. I hate them.

That is the story of why I hate pickeled eggs. Now I am off to the store to get some fresh ones.

2 comments:

  1. I bet, though, that they'd actually be good. Like, in a different situation. Wrapped in bacon and deep fried, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! Were you there that time Josh got me to eat that scotch egg at horse brass? He was a vegetarian and he encouraged it. The things I did for that guy... wait, or was I with you? Anyway, it was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete