Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What goes up must come down

My knees are black and blue, my ass is sore, and that is just from hiking. This past weekend I went on my first ski trip in 15 years. Despite the bumps, bruises, and losing battle with gravity, I had an amazing time.

The trip started on a bus to Seoul. Too excited to sleep, I felt every hour of the long ride. The plan was to meet my friends in Seoul on Friday night then head to the group meeting point in the morning. Finally, at 1am I made it to the hostel where we would be spending the night. After a shower and a chat with my travel buddy Marie it was off to bed for a few hours sleep before the trip. The next morning started with confusion and Marie's smiling face, letting me know we had about 10 minutes to be on our way. Luckily I just had to throw on some clothes, struggle with my boots, henceforth to be called the Boots of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, and head out the door. We were meeting the rest of the group in Itaewon, which is the westerner part of Seoul. Itaewon is lovely, they have coffee and yogurt there. Coffee and breakfast in hand we met up with everyone in a surprisingly tiny van. Then it was off to Gangwon-do for some fun in the snow.

Of course, I should mention that this was Lunar New Year. It is a time when everyone in Korea heads home to be with family. This made for slow going on the highways. We spent about 5 hours in the van before finally reaching our destination. We made a few stops along the way where Marie introduced me to the wonders of rest stop potatoes. Those things are wonderful. Eat them whenever you can.

Once we got to the town with the ski resort we had a traditional Korean lunch and dropped our stuff off in our rooms. Marie, Naomi and I were sharing a room which meant 3 in one bed. Poor Marie would come to regret choosing the middle, after Naomi and I ate our weight in garlic at dinner. Around 4 e met up again to hike a small mountain near our hotel. Not knowing what to expect I put on the Boots of Doooooooooooooom once more, my heavy coat, gloves, and hat. Had I a pair of water proof pants and knee pads, and the gift of foresight, I would have worn those as well. The hike started innocently enough, pretty snow, pretty icicles, pretty trees, then wham! Down I went. Ok, no big deal, I will just get up and wham! The rest of the hike up consisted of me doing my best Flintstones impression (you know, when they ran but didn't go anywhere) and getting propped up by Marie and Naomi. Those two deserve a medal for not leaving me to die in the snow. We never made it to the top, it was getting dark and we didn't want to be stranded on an icy mountain with more snow coming in, especially with me, the girl who couldn't stand up. We turned around and started heading back down the mountain, which was faster, if not easier. My Boots of Dooooooom held no more traction heading down, and I nearly broke Marie's shoulder as she tried to help me stay upright. Frankly, it was easier just sliding down on my tuchas, though probably less safe. I was so embarrassed by my performance, I didn't feel how cold my body had gotten on my slide back down the mountain, though I felt it later. Finally at the base the group loaded back on to the van and headed to the sauna at the ski resort. Do you know what the best thing in the world is after sliding ass first down an icy mountain? A sauna. I refused to come out until no part of me was cold to the touch, which took about an hour. One of the other girls and I actually lost track of time and only just made it to the group at the appointed hour.

After warming up we headed back down to the town and tried on some ski equipment and got some dinner. Korean BBQ is the best thing to eat when you are starving and recently defrosted. Just stay away from the garlic if you are sharing a bed with Marie and want her to be your friend in the morning.

The next morning it was time to ski. I was nervous, but kept reminding myself that I had already embarrassed myself to the max the day before and there was no where to go but up. Even knowing that I only stayed on the baby slope the whole time. I am the master of the baby slope now. Maybe next time I will try the bunny slope... maybe. The day was filled with skiing on a tiny bump in the landscape, eating, drinking coffee, and heading back to the sauna. It was all capped off with pizza in a gondola (the best way to eat it.)

The next morning we all piled back in the van for a slightly shorter journey back to Seoul. Once back in Itaewon we were treated to snacks and drinks by the trip organizer and headed off in our own directions. Marie, Naomi and I went in search of kebabs. Actually, not just any kebabs, the specific kebabs I had eaten with Marty the last time I was in Seoul. Never forgetting the location of a good meal, it was found quickly and Marie and I had two each. I am still a little full. Naomi had eaten at a bun place the last time she was in Seoul, so we headed there next, the walk peppered with window shopping, a run in with my friend Dave, and people watching. When almost all hope was lost we found the bun shop, had a bun and some more coffee and then made a mad dash for the subway to catch our various transports home. I managed to make my bus just in time, although Marie said she was not so lucky with her train. Finally settled into my seat, earbuds firmly planted in my ears, it was time to go home. Bruised, battered and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment