Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A really good day.

Today started out like most days do, my alarm went off, I groaned, rolled over, and hit snooze. It went off again, I swore, turned it off and embraced lethargy for a few moments. Lately the days at school have been dragging. This week I am teaching in the mornings, but the last few weeks I haven't had any classes. The afternoons are generally the same. They involve the sort of boredom that makes me fantasize of smashing my head into my desk repeatedly. Today was a little different though.

At school my kids arrived and were in a particularly cheerful and playful mood. Making the most of it, I hammed it up in class, eliciting cheers and exclamations of, "Teacher! You are so funny! Most funny teacher!!" They especially liked my impression of every TV announcer ever and my fake Brooklyn accent.

After entertaining myself and the kids all morning, I decided to keep the moment and pay some bills. I was mildly shocked and pleased, when checking my balance pre-bill pay to see I had managed to save some money this month, despite sending a lot home and going on a ski trip. Bills paid, it was time to head back to school, a chore to which I did not look forward. Luckily for me, two friends were online to help kill the boredom of an hour or so.

Fast forward to the end of the day, my school friend Minhe met me and we walked home together. I confided in her my deep fear of ordering take out, and my desire to overcome said fear. The walk turned into a tutorial and by the time I reached my destination I felt slightly more confident.

Upon reaching my apartment, I realized I was out of coffee. Thank the deity of your choice I caught this tonight, because there were have been a lot more than the usual morning swears tomorrow had I not noticed. Back out I went into the balmy night (oh yes, did I mention the weather has warmed up considerably, making the outside a happy place?) and off I went, while pretending to take an evening stroll near the Mediterranean, to Starbucks. While downtown I even remembered to pay my phone bill before it was cut off for non-payment.

Back home once more I pulled out my payed off phone and a take out menu. I stared at both for about 5 minutes, took a deep breath and dialed the number. Hooray for Minhe and her tutorial. I managed to order what I wanted, give my address and tell them I lived near a temple. 30 minutes later I was sitting on my floor, eating the best Andong Jim Daak I have ever had. It was for 3-4 people, so I will be enjoying it for days.

And THAT was a really good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment